Re: Pls help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Pls help
Date
List pgsql-general
2009/7/4 Roseller A. Romanos <don2_907@yahoo.com>:
>  Hi,
>
> I really have a serious problem with this.  I hope you could give me some
> insights on how to possibly solve this problem. I have installed a new copy
> of postgres in my PC using Windows XP OS and I have copy the data folder in
> my previous installation from the other PC, my problem is that I cannot
> access the records that I have copied from the other PC.

you cannot copy postgres data files from one computer to second.
PostgreSQL is not MySQL. Use pg_dump instead or copy statement.

1. on PC1

pg_dump -t yourtable yourdatabase > yourtable.sql

2. copy yourtable.sql file from PC1 to PC2

3. on PC2

psql yourdatabase < yourtable.sql

> An error message pops up saying "Cache lookup failed for relation 16410".
> What does this mean?

your data file is not compatible with data dictionary.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/backup.html

regards
Pavel Stehule