Re: overhead of plpgsql functions over simple select - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: overhead of plpgsql functions over simple select
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello

postgres=# create function simplefce(a int, b int) returns int as
$$select $1 + $2$$ language sql immutable strict;
CREATE FUNCTION
postgres=# create function simplefce1(a int, b int) returns int as
$$begin return a+b; end;$$ language plpgsql immutable strict;
CREATE FUNCTION
postgres=#

postgres=# select sum(simplefce(i,1)) from generate_series(1,100000) g(i);
    sum
------------
 5000150000
(1 row)

Time: 255,997 ms
postgres=# select sum(simplefce1(i,1)) from generate_series(1,100000) g(i);
    sum
 5000150000
(1 row)

Time: 646,791 ms