stored procedure obfuscation - proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject stored procedure obfuscation - proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

I am returning back to my patch from last previous year
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-04/msg00166.php .
The main objection was about integration encryption method into core.
There was others proposal - using an obfuscate languages. I dislike
it. It lot of duplicate code - we need trap only reading and writing
to/from pgproc. It should be implemented via "obfuscated hook". Column
bool obfuscated will be added to pg_proc and will be signal using an
obfuscation.

Demo:

create function hello(varchar)
returns varchar as $$
select 'Hello, || $1;
$$ language sql obfuscate;

ERROR: obfuscate plugin isn't active
load obfuscate_plugin;

create function hello(varchar)
$$ language sql obfuscate;
CREATE FUNCTION

advantages:
1. all PL languages will be supported without changes in code
2. everybody should implement own custom obfuscate plugin (strong,
fast, temporar ...)

Regards
Pavel Stehule