Re: FW: Re: create temp in function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: FW: Re: create temp in function
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello

On 22/04/2008, Kerri Reno <kreno@yumaed.org> wrote:
> Thanks to all who responded.  I now know why execute will help this problem,
> but then it causes a new problem.  The example I sent you was trivial,
> trying to get to the bottom of the issue.  What I'm really trying to is get
> past the restriction of execute to do SELECT INTO.  That's why I created a
> temporary table, so that that command could be dynamic, and then do a SELECT
> INTO from that table.  Because of the planning issue that won't work.  I
> can't upgrade to 8.3 at this time (long story).  Any ideas how to do this?
> Here is a section of my code.

you don't need upgrade to 8.3. Just use dynamic statements. Like:

BEGIN
  EXECUTE 'CREATE TEMP TABLE a ...';
  a)
    EXECUTE 'SELECT * FROM a WHERE ...' INTO somevars;
  b)
    FOR vars IN EXECUTE 'SELECT * FROM .. ' LOOP

Regards
Pavel Stehule