idea for 8.4. using partitioning for temporary tables? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject idea for 8.4. using partitioning for temporary tables?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello

I am thinking about global temporary tables. Current problem is
frequent modification some system tables pg_class, pg_attribute and
others. We need merge metadata for real tables and for temporary
tables. Currently we use metadata of temp tables like metadata of
normal tables with known problems.

Idea: We will use partitioning for there system tables. Every tables
will have two parts: one real, and second virtual. For virtual part we
need some like memory tables. On session start we only create these
memory parts and when we finish then we free these parts. This
mechanism doesn't need any vacuum.

What do you thing about it?

Regards
Pavel Stehule