Re: functions are returns columns - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: functions are returns columns
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 09/11/2007, Michele Petrazzo - Unipex srl <michele.petrazzo@unipex.it> wrote:
> Hi all.
> I want that a function return a table rows (like the doc says at 33.4.4.
> SQL Functions as Table Sources), but I want the a function return only a
> few cols, so the same that I select into the func.
> Modifying the doc example:
>
> CREATE TABLE foo (fooid int, foosubid int, fooname text);
> INSERT INTO foo VALUES (1, 1, 'Joe');
> INSERT INTO foo VALUES (1, 2, 'Ed');
> INSERT INTO foo VALUES (2, 1, 'Mary');
>
> CREATE FUNCTION getfoo(int) RETURNS foo AS $$
>      SELECT fooid, foosubid FROM foo WHERE fooid = $1;
> $$ LANGUAGE SQL;
>
> This give me an error:
>
> ERROR:  return type mismatch in function declared to return foo
> DETAIL:  Final SELECT returns too few columns.
> CONTEXT:  SQL function "getfoo"

CREATE FUNCTION getfoo(int) RETURNS foo AS $$     SELECT fooid, foosubid FROM foo WHERE fooid = $1 LIMIT 1;
$$ LANGUAGE SQL;

or
CREATE FUNCTION getfoo(int) RETURNS SETOF foo AS $$     SELECT fooid, foosubid FROM foo WHERE fooid = $1;$$ LANGUAGE
SQL;

try:
SELECT * FROM getfoo(1);

Regards