Re: Using Postgres as an alias - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Using Postgres as an alias
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

> So you're in the "Don't care what people call the project" camp rather
> than the "We need to change but this is the wrong way" one?
>
> Just trying to understand your thinking on this.

I have not any problem with pronunciation PostgreSQL or Postgre or
Postgres. (czech language isn't any problem with this). I can
understand, so others languages can have problem. Accepting Postgres
as official short name can good compromise. My sorted arguments:

1. PostgreSQL is good trademark now.
2. change name will do: a) problems for packagers or b)
inconsistencies between name and packages.
3. All well products has DB or SQL in name.
4. PostgreSQL is well indexed by google - change name will do worst rank

The change of name is possible, but I believe, it has to be related to
change of product (add more not SQL features (streaming database
features, etc).

Pavel