From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: [mmoncure@gmail.com: Re: [GENERAL] array_to_set functions]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2007/8/14, Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org>:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 05:38:33PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > 2007/8/14, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>:
> > >
> > > TODO item?
> > >
> > >   + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

> > > TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend
> >
> > I am against. It's too simple do it in SQL language.
>
> Why make everyone who works with arrays create a function just to do
> this? Something that's of use to common users should be included, simple
> or not.
> --

Unpacking array is more SQL construct for me, than SRF function. With
function you cannot conntrol behave of unpacking. With SQL construct I
can

SELECT DISTINCT a(i) FROM generate_series ... remove duplicities
SELECT a(i) FROM generate_series ORDER BY .. sorted output
etc

But I can

SELECT * FROM generate_series(ARRAY[1,3,4,5,7,10]);

else
FUNCTION generate_series(anyarray) returns setof any

Regards
Pavel Stehule