vacuum locking - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rob Nagler
Subject vacuum locking
Date
Re: vacuum locking  (Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>)
List pgsql-performance
It seems a simple "vacuum" (not full or analyze) slows down the
database dramatically.  I am running vacuum every 15 minutes, but it
takes about 5 minutes to run even after a fresh import.  Even with
vacuuming every 15 minutes, I'm not sure vacuuming is working
properly.

There are a lot of updates.  The slowest relation is the primary key
index, which is composed of a sequence.  I've appended a csv with the
parsed output from vacuum.  The page counts are growing way too fast
imo.  I believe this is caused by the updates, and index pages not
getting re-used.  The index values aren't changing, but other values
in the table are.

Any suggestions how to make vacuuming more effective and reducing the
time it takes to vacuum?  I'd settle for less frequent vacuuming or
perhaps index rebuilding.  The database can be re-imported in about an
hour.

Rob
Spacing every 15 minutes
Pages,Tuples,Deleted