Re: CREATE SEQUENCE with RESTART option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Cary Huang
Subject Re: CREATE SEQUENCE with RESTART option
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Spec compliant:           tested, passed
Documentation:            tested, passed

Hi

I have applied and run your patch, which works fine in my environment. Regarding your comments in the patch:

/*
 * Restarting a sequence while defining it doesn't make any sense
 * and it may override the START value. Allowing both START and
 * RESTART option for CREATE SEQUENCE may cause confusion to user.
 * Hence, we throw error for CREATE SEQUENCE if RESTART option is
 * specified. However, it can be used with ALTER SEQUENCE.
 */

I would remove the first sentence, because it seems like a personal opinion to me. I am sure someone, somewhere may
thinkit makes total sense :).

I would rephrase like this:

/*
 * Allowing both START and RESTART option for CREATE SEQUENCE
 * could override the START value and cause confusion to user. Hence,
 * we throw an error for CREATE SEQUENCE if RESTART option is
 * specified; it can only be used with ALTER SEQUENCE.
 */

just a thought.

thanks!

Cary Huang