Re: creating index names automatically? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: creating index names automatically?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> In the cases where that's sensible, you can use constraint syntax, no?

> I really doubt that it's that easy to pick a sensible name for an index
> on an expression, for example.

Although, having said that, I realize we just opened that can of worms
with the exclusion-constraint patch:

regression=# create table foo (f1 text, exclude (lower(f1) with =));
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / EXCLUDE will create implicit index "foo_exclusion" for table "foo"
CREATE TABLE

The above behavior seems to need improvement already.