Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> You mean like PG_MODULE_MAGIC?

> Hey, how about that.  Why doesn't that solve our problem here?

> [ thinks ... ] I guess it's because there's no guarantee that the
> function is installed on the SQL level with the signature that is
> appropriate on the C level.

Yeah.  And it's more than just the function itself.  For example,
in the contrib/isn mess, the function definitions didn't change.
The problem is the passbyval flag (or lack of it) on the type
definition.

I think we've speculated in the past about having ways of embedding
per-function data into the .so libraries so that these sorts of
things could be caught automatically.  But it'd be a lot of work
for rather limited reward.