Re: Dept of ugly hacks: eliminating padding space in system indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Dept of ugly hacks: eliminating padding space in system indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
>> dead easy to implement this: effectively, we just decree that the
>> index column storage type for NAME is always CSTRING.  Because the

> Isn't it a reason to add STORAGE option of CREATE OPERATOR CLASS to BTree? as
> it's done for GiST and GIN indexes.

Hmm ... I don't see a point in exposing that as a user-level facility,
unless you can point to other use-cases besides NAME.  But it would be
cute to implement the hack by changing the initial contents of
pg_opclass instead of inserting code in the backend.  I'll give that
a try.