Re: [HACKERS] problem with new autocommit config parameter and jdbc - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] problem with new autocommit config parameter and jdbc
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> writes:
> Probably the driver should be changed for 7.3 just to use the server's
> SET AUTOCOMMIT functionality....

That should happen eventually, IMHO, but I am not going to tell the JDBC
developers that they must make it happen for 7.3.  They've already got a
pile of much-higher-priority things to fix for 7.3, like schema
compatibility and dropped-column handling.

My feeling about the original complaint is very simple: setting server
autocommit to off is not supported with JDBC (nor is it fully supported
with any other of our frontend clients, right at this instant, though
that may improve somewhat before 7.3 release).  If you don't like it,
tough; contribute the required fixes or stop complaining.  Someone else
will fix it when they get around to it, but there are bigger problems to
deal with first.  Autocommit is only a work-in-progress today, not
something that we promise will do anything useful for anybody.

            regards, tom lane