Re: Buglist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Buglist
Date
Re: Buglist  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
List pgsql-general

BW> It would probably be a lot slower. Any transaction that has started
BW> but not yet finished would need to lock all rows that exist at during
BW> the transaction (for serialized transaction isolation you would only

Why would you need to lock rows?  Does the current vacuum need it?  I
don't think it does.  Why can't the functionality of vacuum be made to
operate incrementally per row delete/update?  I don't know if it is
possible.

BW> Also, since at least 7.3, normal vacuums aren't normally going to
BW> affect the performance of your database server that much.

I disagree.  Triggering a vacuum on a db that is nearly saturating the
disk bandwidth has a significant impact.

BW> The main issue against the current vacuum system is that it requires the
BW> DBA knowing what vacuum does and figuring out how it should be used in
BW> their situation to get reasonable performance. This makes it a bit harder
BW> for non-DBAs to jump right in to Postgres without running into problems.

BW> However, the work on autovacuum seems to be providing a reasonable solution
BW> to that problem.

Yes, this is a good thing.