Re: Re[2]: Perfomance decreasing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re[2]: Perfomance decreasing
Date
List pgsql-general
Alexander Loginov <sas@mplik.ru> writes:
>     I  have only one small question. Can I do REINDEX during inserting
>     of  information  into  tables. Or I must block somehow updating of
>     tables.

Hmmm ... it looks like REINDEX only grabs AccessShareLock on the target
relation, which seems very wrong.  Hiroshi, doesn't it need to get a
stronger lock to prevent concurrent insertions?  For that matter,
shouldn't the lock be obtained a lot earlier, to ensure the table isn't
dropped partway through?  There's a lot of processing here that seems
to be executed while holding no lock at all :-(

            regards, tom lane