Re: Cannot execute null query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Cannot execute null query
Date
List pgsql-general
Fran Fabrizio <ffabrizio@mmrd.com> writes:
> I got this error when trying to use a view, so I suspect that it was the
> view definition query that was throwing this.  I'd never seen this error
> before so I did a search of the list archives and the newsgroups and web
> in general and found nothing.  From the pattern of it happening, my best
> guess is that the underlying table had some data in it that was busting
> the view query, but having never seen this before I don't even know
> where to start looking.

The only occurrences of that string that I can find in the source code
are in plpgsql: the various forms of EXECUTE throw that error if the
expression that's supposed to yield a query string yields NULL instead.
However, if that's what was happening then you should have seen some
indicator that the error was in a plpgsql function, not just the bare
error message.

            regards, tom lane