Re: Alternative database locations are broken - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alternative database locations are broken
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> How do we control the allowed paths?  Should we continue with the
> environment variables?  Perhaps a config option listing the allowed
> directories?  A system catalog?

The environment variables are a pretty sucky mechanism, IMHO;
an installation-wide catalog would be nicer.  HOWEVER: I do not
think it's reasonable to try to make that happen for 7.1, considering
how close we are to beta.  So I recommend that we continue to base
allowed paths on environment variables for this release.

> Somehow I also get the feeling that pg_dumpall should be saving these
> paths...

Yup, probably so.  If you stick the LOCATION string into
pg_database.datpath (which no longer has any other use)
then it'd be easy to make pg_dumpall do so.