Re: Enabling autovacuum per table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rijo Roy
Subject Re: Enabling autovacuum per table
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Adrian for sharing the facts and docs..

Is there a possibility to disable auto analyze  if we set autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor to 100% and autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 0?

Thanks,
Rijo Roy

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 6:48 pm, Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 10/15/18 1:01 AM, Rijo Roy wrote:
> Hello Experts,
>
> Is there any possibility for autovacuum to work on a user table if we set
> Alter table sometable set (autovacuum_enabled = true) ; even if the
> parameter autovacuum = off in Postgresql.conf
>
> I am using Postgresql 10 on Linux 6.9.
>
> According to me, it won't work without setting autovacuum = on except
> for Template0 database. What is your opinion?

The docs opinion:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-createtable.html
"autovacuum_enabled, toast.autovacuum_enabled (boolean)

    Enables or disables the autovacuum daemon for a particular table.
If true, the autovacuum daemon will perform automatic VACUUM and/or
ANALYZE operations on this table following the rules discussed in
Section 24.1.6. If false, this table will not be autovacuumed, except to
prevent transaction ID wraparound. See Section 24.1.5 for more about
wraparound prevention. Note that the autovacuum daemon does not run at
all (except to prevent transaction ID wraparound) if the autovacuum
parameter is false; setting individual tables' storage parameters does
not override that. Therefore there is seldom much point in explicitly
setting this storage parameter to true, only to false.

"

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com