Re: pgsql (configure.in configure) - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql (configure.in configure)
Date
List pgsql-committers
> Tom Lane writes:
>> Call me silly, but I think it would be a good idea if initdb and other
>> scripts are executable after being installed.  Latest changes got the
>> permissions wrong (non executable).

> What's kind of silly is that install should default to mode 755 and
> INSTALL_SCRIPT should default to `install -c'. Is that not the case here?

Why should install default to mode 755?  On my system install -c just
does a cp; it doesn't change permissions unless you explicitly specify
a -m flag, which the makefiles were not doing.

This'd be OK if the scripts were mode 755 in the source tree, but they
ain't (and I think it's a bad idea to depend on the permissions in the
source tree anyway).

Before your latest changes, the makefiles explicitly specified a -m
setting for every invocation of install.  You can argue about whether
the permission values we used were reasonable or not, but at least we
got predictable results.  I think we should keep that behavior.

            regards, tom lane