Re: query optimiser changes 6.5->7.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: query optimiser changes 6.5->7.0
Date
List pgsql-general
>> So, while I have been known to suggest "set enable_seqscan=off" and
>> friends when there seemed no other short-term answer, I don't want to
>> enshrine it as a standard recommendation.  It's just a way of plugging
>> holes in the dike until more planner work gets done.

> They can certainly turn of off before a query and on after the query,
> right?

Sure, that's how I'd suggest using it at the moment.

> Seems people have been asking for fine-tuned optimizer control.

I know, but I think that's the wrong direction to go in, for the reasons
I tried to explain.  The more specific the command you give to force
a particular query plan, the more likely that command is to go wrong
as the situation changes.

            regards, tom lane