Re: --single-transaction hack to pg_upgrade does not work - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: --single-transaction hack to pg_upgrade does not work
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> The attached patch does just that. Its *not* ready yet though, as it
>> will be apparent for everyone who reads it ;)

ISTM this sort of thing ought to be safe enough, though you probably
need to insist both that the pg_type row's xmin be current XID and
that it not be HEAP_UPDATED.

>> To really make that work in a reliable manner we would probably need
>> an rd_createSubid for typcache entries instead of testing xmin as I have
>> done here?

What's more reliable about that?  For one thing, cache entries can get
flushed.  The relcache goes to some lengths to hang onto rd_createSubid
anyway, but I don't want to put equivalent logic into typcache.