Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Date
Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread  (Steve Lane <slane@moyergroup.com>)
Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread  (Erik Price <eprice@ptc.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
> Better hurry.  Sterling Hughes is proposing to enable SQlite support by
> default; that move could be bad for the lobbying of activating Pg
> support.

SQlite?   Sure, give it a try.  (I was slightly astonished to compare
these two pages:
http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/omitted.html
http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/datatypes.html
At the very least, one would have to say that the author feels free
to define those parts of SQL he doesn't like as "not features".  There
sure isn't anything on the former page to suggest that vast parts of
the SQL spec are being ignored per the latter page.)

SQlite is even less competition from our point of view than MySQL is
... if the PHP guys think their users will be satisfied with SQlite,
let them try it for awhile.

I'd be happy if PHP would adopt a database-neutral stance, ie, nothing
in particular bundled into their core distribution.  That might not be
compatible with their project goals though.  Anyone have a feeling about
how important it is to them to have bundled DB support?  Maybe we could
talk them into bundling more than one DB interface --- if they put both
PG and SQlite support into their distro, that'd be fine with me too.

            regards, tom lane