Re: [HACKERS] CREATE STATISTICS statistic_type documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] CREATE STATISTICS statistic_type documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Where would you expect to find that?

> Probably at the end of the paragraph:
> "A statistic type to be computed in this statistics object. Currently
> supported types are ndistinct, which enables n-distinct statistics, and
> dependencies, which enables functional dependency statistics. For more
> information, see Section 14.2.2 and Section 68.2."

Fair enough.

> Something like "If omitted, both ndistinct and dependencies will be
> included."

> If we invent more types in the future, would we expect those to be
> defaulted to as well?

I might be wrong, but my impression is that the plan is to default
to gathering all possible stats types.  So I'd probably write the
addendum that way rather than naming those two types specifically.