Re: [HACKERS] CREATE STATISTICS statistic_type documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: [HACKERS] CREATE STATISTICS statistic_type documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The docs for CREATE STATISTICS does not say what happens if the
> statistic_type clause is omitted.  It should probably say that the default
> action is to create both ndistinct and dependencies.

Hmm, I coulda sworn that it did say that somewhere.

Where would you expect to find that?

Probably at the end of the paragraph:

"A statistic type to be computed in this statistics object. Currently supported types are ndistinct, which enables n-distinct statistics, and dependencies, which enables functional dependency statistics. For more information, see Section 14.2.2 and Section 68.2."

Something like "If omitted, both ndistinct and dependencies will be included."

If we invent more types in the future, would we expect those to be defaulted to as well?

Cheers,

Jeff