ECPG thread-safety - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Lee Kindness
Subject ECPG thread-safety
Date
Re: ECPG thread-safety
List pgsql-interfaces
Philip Yarra writes:> I've had a few tries at testing the ECPG threadsafe patch, but so> far no luck, probably due to
myown lack of experience. Can someone> help me out with how to test this?> > So far I have:> - run configure> - applied
Lee'spatch to the source tree for 7.3.2> - edited src/Makefile.global, adding -pthread to CFLAGS and and> -lpthread to
LIBS>- make and make install> - make our own pthread'd app, linking against newly installed pgsql> Then when I run our
appwith 3 DB threads, I can watch 2 of the threads fai=> l=20> to return from EXEC SQL, which is exactly the same
behaviourwe used to get.> > Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm building on RedHat Linux 7.=> 3=20> on
Intel,using all standard tools for that version (except updated bison=> =20> from 1.35 to 1.875). So gcc 2.96, gmake
3.79.1,etc. Let me know if more=20> details are required.

Even with this patch you'll still be limited by the underlying
libpq. So for example you cannot share a connection between threads
without implementing locking to prevent multiple access to that
connection.

I guess the best way would be to open a named connection for EACH
thread. This SHOULD work, but again not tested...

L.