Re: docs: WITH queries and VALUES - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: docs: WITH queries and VALUES
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> * Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
>> with_query_name [ ( column_name [, ...] ) ] AS ( select | insert |
>> update | delete )
>> Should that list that you can use values as well? Or is it something
>> we generally consider "wherever select works you can use values"?

> TABLE also works there, and here:

Well, "TABLE foo" is defined as a shorthand for "SELECT * FROM foo",
so ISTM it's not too surprising that you can use it wherever you
can use SELECT.  I'm not sure that people have a similar view of
VALUES though.  It might be worth adding VALUES to the WITH syntax.