Re: obsolete indexing method "rtree" - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Jürgen Purtz
Subject Re: obsolete indexing method "rtree"
Date
Re: obsolete indexing method "rtree"  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-docs

On 06.08.20 10:12, David G. Johnston wrote:
On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 12:18 AM Jürgen Purtz <juergen@purtz.de> wrote:

> Why?

Because it can hinder the learning process.

FWIW I'd at least fixup comment.sgml to reference a current type.  And while in there might as well add missing examples for the following since we seem to have a goal of providing one example for every syntax (operators get two in order to show NONE, rightarg).

  EVENT TRIGGER object_name |
  PUBLICATION object_name |
  SUBSCRIPTION object_name |
  ROUTINE routine_name [ ( [ [ argmode ] [ argname ] argtype [, ...] ] ) ] |

Such a "make current" patch that covers this complaint seems reasonable; IOW, why not if you are in there anyway - rtree has some baggage and no particular merit such that a different label would be worse.

I don't see the value of removing the backward compatibility hack if it's not bothering the developers.  Whether the documentation should be changed to basically only cover this and nothing more I cannot say without studying said documentation.  I agree with the general motive though.

David J.

Patch with four additional comments and one modified comment attached.

--

Jürgen Purtz

Attachment