Re: old server, new server, same performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Carey
Subject Re: old server, new server, same performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On May 14, 2010, at 3:52 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> 2010/5/14 Piotr Legiecki <piotrlg@sci.pam.szczecin.pl>:
>> So what is the problem? My simple 'benchmarks' I have done with pgAdmin in
>> spare time.
>>
>> pgAdmin is the latest 1.8.2 on both D and E.
>> Using pgAdmin on my (D) computer I have run SELECT * from some_table; and
>> noted the execution time on both A and B servers:
>
> So, any chance you'll run it like I asked:
>
> select count(*) from some_table;
>
> ?

I agree that select * is a very bad test and probably the problem here.  Even if you do 'select * from foo' locally to
avoidthe network and pipe it to /dev/null, it is _significantly_ slower than count(*) because of all the data
serialization.