Re: 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.4?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Also, as discussed in 7.3, I vote against a feature freeze that is
> significantly earlier (>2 weeks) from the start of beta.  We did that
> for 7.2, and it paralized the end of the developement period.

The problem there was not the feature freeze, it was that we kept
slipping the beta date while we waited around for certain items
to get done.  The lesson I take away from the past couple releases
is that you set a target beta date and then stick to it; features
that aren't in on time don't get extensions.

In other words, we shouldn't be waving our hands and saying "there's
still plenty of time for these things to happen for 7.4".  There's
not, unless we go back to the previous philosophy of "we'll slip
the release as long as it takes for something to happen".  I think
it's past time to light a fire under the folks who are supposedly
doing these items.

            regards, tom lane