Re: Relids in upper relations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Relids in upper relations
Date
Re: Relids in upper relations  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> While reviewing aggregate pushdown patch [1] we noticed that
> RelOptInfos for upper relations do not have relids set.

Indeed, because they don't correspond to any particular scan relation or
set of scan relations.  I have in mind that in future releases, any
particular upperrel might have its own definition of what the relids
mean --- for example, in UPPERREL_SETOP it would likely be useful for
the relids to represent the set of leaf SELECTs that have been merged
in a particular path.  You could imagine UPPERREL_WINDOW using the
relids to track which window functions have been implemented in a path,
whenever we get around to considering multiple window function orderings.
None of that's there yet.

> create_foreignscan_plan() copies the relids from RelOptInfo into
> ForeignScan::fs_relids. That field is used to identify the RTIs
> covered by the ForeignScan.

That's fine for scan/join paths.  If you want to pay attention to
relids for an upper rel, it's up to you to know what they mean.
I would not counsel assuming that they have anything at all to do
with baserel RTIs.

> We could prevent the crash by passing input_rel->relids to
> fetch_upper_rel() in create_grouping_path() as seen in the attached
> patch.

I think this is fundamentally wrongheaded.  If we go that route,
the only valid relids for any upper path would be the union of all
baserel RTIs, making it rather pointless to carry the value around
at all, and definitely making it impossible to use the field to
distinguish different partial implementations of the same upperrel.

You should look to root->all_baserels, instead, if that's the value
you want when considering an upperrel Path.