Re: Notifications within triggers seem to compromise performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Notifications within triggers seem to compromise performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
=?UTF-8?Q?Gr=c3=a9goire_de_Turckheim?= <gdeturckheim@scaleway.com> writes:
> I guess we stumbled upon a performance issue with notifications sent within triggers (using PostgreSQL version 11.5)
> and I'd like your opinion about this.

We made some performance improvements for NOTIFY just a couple months
ago, cf commits b10f40bf0, bb5ae8f6c, bca6e6435, 51004c717.  It would
be interesting to know how much those changes helped your use-case.

I'm quite disinclined to reduce the correctness guarantees around
NOTIFY for performance's sake.  That's the sort of thing that sounds
like a good idea until you find out that it subtly breaks your
application, and then you've got nothing.

            regards, tom lane