Re: scaling up postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: scaling up postgres
Date
List pgsql-performance
fzied@planet.tn writes:
> I'm using httperf/autobench for measurments and the best result I can get
> is that my system can handle a trafiic of almost 1600 New con/sec.

As per PFC's comment, if connections/sec is a bottleneck for you then
the answer is to use persistent connections.  Launching a new backend
is a fairly heavyweight operation in Postgres.  It sounds like there
may be some system-level constraints affecting the process creation
rate as well, but it's silly to spend a lot of effort on this when
you can so easily go around the problem.

            regards, tom lane