Re: pgsql: Add a non-strict version of jsonb_set - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Add a non-strict version of jsonb_set
Date
List pgsql-committers
Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On Jan 19, 2020, at 12:20 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 12:46:19PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I think you are right that individual committers could set up such hooks
>>> in their own private repos.  But that's not what was being suggested,
>>> or so I thought.

> Client side hooks of this kind could be useful for developers without
> community commit privileges, since local repository commits could also be
> rejected, perhaps with an “are you sure” type override option, and more
> than a catversion checking hook would be possible.

Yeah, the point that this could be useful to non-committer contributors
seems pretty compelling.  The catversion complaint in particular would
*not* be useful, since you're generally not supposed to include catversion
bumps in submitted patches --- but I can easily envision that other
check-hooks might be of widespread use.

            regards, tom lane