Re: server stopped running abnormally - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: server stopped running abnormally
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Phil Frost <indigo@bitglue.com> writes:
> Things were crusing along just fine as I can tell, and then all the
> postgresql processes terminated. This is all I see in the logs:

> LOG:  received immediate shutdown request

Something sent the postmaster a SIGQUIT signal.  You need to look into
what might have done that.

> I have a nightly cron job that runs "vacuumdb --all --full --analyze
> --quiet" which failed a few days ago with this:

> vacuumdb: vacuuming of database "dew" failed: ERROR:  buffer 126 is not owned by resource owner TopTransaction
> PANIC:  cannot abort transaction 478973, it was already committed

The PANIC is a known problem with VACUUM FULL: it commits its
transaction before it's really done processing, and so if it gets an
error after that point it's up the creek without a paddle.  But I'm not
sure what could have caused the "not owned by" error in the first place.
Don't suppose you can reproduce the problem?

            regards, tom lane