Re: BUG #6578: Deadlock in libpq after upgrading from 8.4.7 to 8.4.11 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #6578: Deadlock in libpq after upgrading from 8.4.7 to 8.4.11
Date
Re: BUG #6578: Deadlock in libpq after upgrading from 8.4.7 to 8.4.11  (Ran Ningyu <rnysmile@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
rnysmile@yahoo.com writes:
> This month, we upgrade the libpq5 from  8.4.7 to 8.4.11.(libpq-dev
> 8.4.11-0ubuntu0.11.04) Our service program become unstable after upgrading.

It seems rather improbable that a deadlock inside glibc would be our
bug.  Also, I've just looked very carefully through all the diffs
between 8.4.7 and 8.4.11 (or at least, all the diffs affecting libpq)
and I don't see anything that could plausibly lead to this behavior.

> After search the mailing list, we found someone else have the similar
> problem:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2011-03/msg00895.php

I can't help observing that that person is also using ubuntu, and that
we have not heard similar complaints from anybody else.  Ubuntu-specific
glibc bug perhaps?  A slightly different theory is an ubuntu-specific
openssl bug; if there were something wrong in the internal locking
in libcrypto, it could well lead to a backtrace like this.

            regards, tom lane