Re: quoting psql varible as identifier - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: quoting psql varible as identifier
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't have a problem to write second and safe fmtId
>> function (with technique used in dumputils don't need to modify
>> libpq), although fmtId do exactly what I need. I would to understand
>> to behave.

> I think you mean that you would need to understand how it should
> behave - in which case I agree, but I think  Tom spelled that out
> pretty clearly upthread: close PQescapeStringConn and adapt it to be
> PQescapeIdentifier.

The more important point here is that fmtId doesn't do "exactly what you
need" in any case.  fmtId is safe to use in pg_dump because pg_dump is
only expected to work with the same or older version of the backend.
It would not be safe to use it in libpq, which is expected to still work
with newer backends that might have more reserved words.