Re: detecting deadlocks - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: detecting deadlocks
Date
List pgsql-general
"Jonathan Ellis" <jbe@familyellis.org> writes:
> I get this logged
> logger: ERROR:  Deadlock detected.
> logger: ^ISee the lock(l) manual page for a possible cause.

> but that's kind of useless to actually fix the problem.  Is there a way to
> get it to log which two transactions are deadlocking?

Well, one of them is the one that died ;-).

I think we could persuade the lock manager to return more info than it
does now, but I'm not sure how to translate the low-level info (backend
IDs and lock tags) into something useful to a user.  How would you want
the other transactions to be identified?

            regards, tom lane