Re: NAMEDATALEN and performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: NAMEDATALEN and performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
Alessandro Baretta <a.baretta@studio.baretta.com> writes:
> ... I would like to receive some
> insight on the implications of such a choice. Beside the fact that the parser
> has more work to do to decipher queries and whatnot, what other parts of the
> server would be stressed by a verbose naming scheme? Where should I expect the
> bottlenecks to be?

I suppose the thing that would be notable is bloat in the size of the
system catalogs and particularly their indexes; hence extra I/O.

> Also, I could imagine a solution where I split the names in a schema part and a
> local name, thereby refactoring my namespace. I'd get the approximate effect of
> doubling namedatalen, but at the expense of having a much wider searchpath.

This might be worth thinking about, simply because it'd avoid the need
for custom executables.

            regards, tom lane