Re: timestamp with time zone tutorial - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: timestamp with time zone tutorial
Date
List pgsql-general
Dennis Gearon <gearond@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>      What I want is to be able to insert into my project's database, times given by anybody anywhere on the planet
(theSUBMITTER), add the appropriate timezone in the insert statement so that it in 'GMT/UMT' neutral'. I believe this
isthe way Postgres does it, storing times in GMT time.

So just do it.  What do you need to_timestamp for?  The basic
timestamptz input function is far more likely to get it right
for input that's not in a precise predetermined format.

            regards, tom lane