Re: Anything to be gained from a 'Postgres Filesystem'? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Aaron Werman
Subject Re: Anything to be gained from a 'Postgres Filesystem'?
Date
List pgsql-performance
The intuitive thing would be to put pg into a file system.

/Aaron

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:44:10 +0200, Leeuw van der, Tim
<tim.leeuwvander@nl.unisys.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess the difference is in 'severe hacking inside PG' vs. 'some unknown amount of hacking that doesn't touch PG
code'.

> Hacking PG internally to handle raw devices will meet with strong resistance from large portions of the development
team.I don't expect (m)any core devs of PG will be excited about rewriting the entire I/O architecture of PG and
duplicatinglarge amounts of OS type of code inside the application, just to try to attain an unknown performance
benefit.

> PG doesn't use one big file, as some databases do, but many small files. Now PG would need to be able to do
file-management,if you put the PG database on a raw disk partition! That's icky stuff, and you'll find much resistance
againstputting such code inside PG.
> So why not try to have the external FS know a bit about PG and it's directory-layout, and it's IO requirements? Then
suchtype of code can at least be maintained outside the application, and will not be as much of a burden to the rest of
theapplication.

> (I'm not sure if it's a good idea to create a PG-specific FS in your OS of choice, but it's certainly gonna be easier
thangetting FS code inside of PG)

> cheers,
>
> --Tim

Gunderson