Re: Logging pg_autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Logging pg_autovacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> The first is to add a column(s) to pg_class to hold last vaccum/analyze time
> for each table.

I really don't want us to do that.  relpages/reltuples are already an
ugly wart.  The fundamental problem with this (or indeed any of the
various proposals for "let's make vacuum store results someplace")
is that vacuum is supposed to *clean up* dead rows.  Not make more.
We don't want a pass of autovacuum to leave pg_class in a desperately-
needs-vacuumed-again state.

> The second is to add a "verbosity level" to pg_autovacuum for each table, to
> allow admins to configure specific tables for a more verbose logging.

No fundamental objection, but I can't really see the need either.