Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade vs extension upgrades - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade vs extension upgrades
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> After you've run pg_upgrade, you have to loop through all your databases
> and do an "ALTER EXTENSION abc UPDATE" once for each extension.

> Is there a reason we shouldn't have pg_upgrade emit a script that does
> this, similar to how it emits a script to run ANALYZE?

+1 --- I think this has been discussed before, but nobody got round
to it.

Do we need to worry about the order of the updates when there are
cross-extension dependencies?  I'm thinking that if extension A
requires extension B, it'd be safest to update B first.