Re: to_number, to_char inconsistency. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: to_number, to_char inconsistency.
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeremy Lowery <jslowery@gmail.com> writes:
> I load and dump text files with currency values in it. The decimal in these
> input and output formats in implied. The V format character works great for
> outputing numeric data:

> # select to_char(123.45, '999V99');
>  to_char
> ---------
>   12345
> (1 row)

> However, when importing data, the V doesn't do the same thing:

> # select to_number('12345', '999V99');

A look at the source code shows that to_number doesn't do anything at
all with the V format code, so this isn't terribly surprising.  It
wouldn't be very hard to make it do the right thing, probably, but
nobody's had that particular itch yet.  Feel free to scratch it and
send a patch ...

            regards, tom lane