Re: [HACKERS] [GENERAL] C++ port of Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [GENERAL] C++ port of Postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/26/17 22:46, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2016-09-30 15:24:09 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Yeah, I have committed a few of the patches now and I'll close the CF
>> entry now.  Thanks for your research.
>
> Are you planning to push more of these at some point?

Sure, let's take a look.

Here are rebased patches.  It now contains a patch that removes all C++
keywords, instead of just defining them away.  With that, this now
builds with g++-6 (formerly only g++-5), and with that, the
static_assert support works as well.

Interesting patches to review would be:

v2-0001-Fix-mixup-of-bool-and-ternary-value.patch
v2-0004-Add-necessary-type-cast.patch
v2-0005-Rename-some-typedefs-to-avoid-name-conflicts.patch
v2-0007-Eliminate-C-keywords.patch
v2-0023-Fix-issue-with-enums-and-va_arg.patch

The rest are mostly for amusement.

Getting rid of the C++ keywords would open up the possibility of using
-Wc++-compat, which you have expressed interest in, I think.  I think it
also increases clarity in some cases in its own right, so it's worth
taking a look.  (Then again, there are some rush jobs in there, as well.)

(This semi-bug was found while preparing these patches:
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=eb75f4fced77e108393f18425ec3f7aba2e70a9d)