Re: Converting from MS Access field aliases - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Converting from MS Access field aliases
Date
List pgsql-sql
Joel Richard <postgres@joelrichard.com> writes:
> What's really screwy is what I found when I hooked access into my
> PostgreSQL database using pgsqlODBC (I know, it's an abomination) and
> I logged the statements that PostgreSQL was processing. In MS Access
> this query:

>    SELECT foo AS bar,  bar * 2 AS gleep FROM table;

> became this in PostgreSQL's logs

>    SELECT foo FROM table;

> Vewwy Intewesting!

Yeah, that *is* interesting --- it means Access is trying to do all the
arithmetic for itself.  I guess this means that you could keep using
the statements unchanged if you wanted to use Access as a frontend to
Postgres.  Of course you're trying to get away from that, but this
might at least give you a chance of fixing things incrementally instead
of having to fix everything all at once.
        regards, tom lane