Re: [HACKERS] recent deadlock regression test failures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] recent deadlock regression test failures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> It seems an entirely principle-free change in the function's definition.

> You might say that pg_blocking_pid() is about locking only and not
> arbitrary other kinds of waits, but safe snapshots are not completely
> unrelated to locking if you tilt your head at the right angle:
> GetSafeSnapshot waits for all transactions that might hold SIRead
> locks that could affect this transaction's serializability to
> complete.

Well, the problem I'm having is that once we say that pg_blocking_pids()
is not just about heavyweight locks, it's not clear where we stop.
There might be many other cases where, if you dig around in the right data
structures, it'd be possible to say that process X is waiting for process
Y to do something.  How many of those will we expect pg_blocking_pids()
to cover?  And there certainly will be cases where X is waiting for Y but
we don't have any effective way of identifying that.  Is that a bug in
pg_blocking_pids()?

Admittedly, this is a somewhat academic objection; but I dislike taking a
function with a fairly clear, published spec and turning it into something
that does whatever's expedient for a single use-case.

> Based on the above, here is a version that introduces a simple boolean
> function pg_waiting_for_safe_snapshot(pid) and adds that the the
> query.  This was my "option 1" upthread.

Nah, this is not good either.  Yes, it's a fairly precise conversion
of what Kevin's patch did, but I think that patch is wrong even
without considering the performance angle.  If you look back at the
discussions in Feb 2016 that led to what we had, it turned out to be
important not just to be able to say that process X is blocked, but
that it is blocked by one of the other isolationtest sessions, and
not by some random third party (like autovacuum).  I do not know
whether there is, right now, any way for autovacuum to be the guilty
party for a SafeSnapshot wait --- but it does not seem like a good
plan to assume that there never will be.

So I think what we need is functionality very much like what you had
in the prior patch, ie identify the specific PIDs that are causing
process X to wait for a safe snapshot.  I'm just not happy with how
you packaged it.

Here's a sketch of what I think we ought to do:

1. Leave pg_blocking_pids() alone; it's a published API now.

2. Add GetSafeSnapshotBlockingPids() more or less as you had it
in the previous patch (+ Kevin's recommendations).  There might be
value in providing a SQL-level way to call that, but I'm not sure,
and it would be independent of fixing isolationtester anyway.

3. Invent a SQL function that is dedicated specifically to supporting
isolationtester and need not be documented at all; this gets us out
of the problem of whether it's okay to whack its semantics around
anytime somebody thinks of something else they want to test.
I'm imagining an API like
  isolation_test_is_waiting_for(int, int[]) returns bool

so that isolationtester's query would reduce to something like
SELECT pg_catalog.isolation_test_is_waiting_for($1, '{...}')

which would take even more cycles out of the parse/plan overhead for it
(which is basically what's killing the CCA animals).  Internally, this
function would call pg_blocking_pids and, if necessary,
GetSafeSnapshotBlockingPids, and would check for matches in its array
argument directly; it could probably do that significantly faster than the
general-purpose array && code.  So we'd have to expend a bit of backend C
code, but we'd have something that would be quite speedy and we could
customize in future without fear of breaking behavior that users are
depending on.