Re: Portable interfaces ... - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Portable interfaces ...
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
"Preston A. Elder" <prez@neuromancy.net> writes:
> I wanted to know exactly which header files I can use portably.

pg_type.h is part of the "server-side" include tree.  When installing
from original sources, it is installed only if you type "make
install-all-headers".  When dealing with a Linux distribution's
packaging, it's completely at the whim of the packager whether it will
be installed at all, and if so where.

Sorry the news isn't better :-(.  My advice would actually be to copy
the #define's you need for type OIDs into a header in your own sources.
We do not make a practice of changing OIDs for built-in objects, so I
think your risk in that direction is really lower than your risk from
trying to #include pg_type.h on various random distributions.

I don't have a comparably simple answer for your character encoding
issue, but again I fear that relying on PG's internal facilities would
be a bad idea for you.
        regards, tom lane