Re: WIP: getting rid of the pg_database flat file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP: getting rid of the pg_database flat file
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, I meant pseudo-backend in the sense of "just like an AV worker".
>> We might not want it to show in pg_stat_activity, but otherwise I think
>> it'd be the same.

> Hmm, to what database would it connect?

Well, it wouldn't.  As of the patch I'm working on, it's okay to have
PGPROC entries showing zero in databaseId.  Normally they'd be backends
that weren't done starting yet, but I see no reason the AV launcher
couldn't stay that way indefinitely.

This would likely mean that the only thing it could safely do is seqscan
pg_database, but that's all we need anyway, no?

I suppose it might be a bit ugly to refactor InitPostgres enough to
support this.  I'm not sure which parts of that code we'd actually need
to have run.