Re: pretty_bool in pg_get_constraintdef has no effect since pg >= 9 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: pretty_bool in pg_get_constraintdef has no effect since pg >= 9
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> On 25 Feb 2020, at 13:56, eli.mach@mailbox.org wrote:

> since postgres 9, `pg_get_constraintdef(cons.oid, pretty_bool)` does not work as expected. The result is always in
"pretty"-format(with newlines), regardless of whether `pretty_bool` is true or false. Calling
`pg_get_constraintdef(constraint_oid)`without `pretty_bool`, also returns "pretty"-format.

This is not a bug, but a deliberate change which was made in 62e666400d back in
2013, the argument being that changes in whitespace should not affect forward
compatibility.

> I'm migrating from postgres 8 to 11 and a sqlalchemy script throws a warning "SAWarning: Could not parse CHECK
constrainttext" because there a no newlines expected in `re.match(r"^CHECK *\((.+)\)( NOT VALID)?$", src)`.

Surely SA has been updated to work with more recent version of postgres?  I've
not used SA myself, but are you sure you are using the right version of the
tool?

cheers ./daniel